Massachusetts Provider #10544
The Success Family of CE Companies provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to insurance continuing education requirements. Due to regulatory requirements we suggest that you contact your state department of insurance to insure that no regulatory changes have been enacted. Although ongoing efforts have been made to qualify that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither The Success Family of CE Companies nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice.
Department of Insurance Contact Information
Massachusetts Division of Insurance
1000 Washington Street, Suite 810
Boston, MA 02118-6200
Phone: (617) 521-7794
State Website: www.mass.gov/ocabr/government/oca-agencies/doi-lp
Insurance CE Hours Required
- Producer: 60-hours, including 3-hours of ethics, required during the first 36 months of licensure, triennium.
- 45-hours required every renewal thereafter, triennially.
- Adjuster: 15-hours triennially
- Adjuster may complete any course approved under the Property/Casualty license type.
State Specific Insurance CE Certifications
- NAIC Annuity Certification: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating Annuity policies in Massachusetts, producers must complete a one-time only 4-hour NAIC Suitability certification course.
- Initial 8-hour Long-Term Care: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC insurance in Massachusetts, producers must complete an initial 8-hour LTC training course.
- Ongoing 4-hour Long-Term Care: After completion of the 8-hour initial LTC training requirement, producers must complete 4-hours of approved LTC training every 24-months.
- Flood Certification: All resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies (NFIP) shall be required to complete a one-time 3-hour requirement on flood insurance.
CE Final Exam Regulations
- Final exams are taken with a closed book.
- Final exams MUST BE monitored by a disinterested third-party. (waived until further notice)
- For online courses where a proctor is required, DOI has created the Continuing Education Attestation of Personal Responsibility Form. This form will require individuals to attest that they have not received outside assistance while completing the online course exam. This form must be sent to the provider within 15 days of completing the course.
- This Continuing Education Attestation of Personal Responsibility Form will be prompted to download or print at the beginning of the final exam for all approved MA CE courses.
- This must be sent to us, the CE Provider, after the final exam has scored 70% or higher to be reported to the MA DOI.
- Independent self-study courses and classroom are accepted forms of CE courses.
- License renewal date is date of issuance, triennially.
Reporting to Your State/Regulatory Authority
- $1.50 per credit hour is required to report/file to your state.
- State Insurance completions are reported 2 times every business day. If course is completed after 2 PM PT, it will be reported the following business day.
- As an added service, we can Rapidly Report your completed courses the same business day for $25 per CE course.
- CFP is reported/filed with the CFP Board every Friday at 2pm PST.
CE Carry-Over Hours & CE Course Repetition
- 45 credit hours maximum may be carried over to the next renewal period.
- Credit will not be given for a course that is repeated within a 3-year period.
Method to Certify Completion
- The certificate of completion will be available to print or download online immediately after you have pass the final exam.
- The DOI or regulatory authority can take up to 30 days to process your new completion results on their systems.
Insurance Continuing Education Exemptions
- Individuals licensed in Massachusetts prior to 4/5/83, except for those persons who, although licensed prior to 4/5/83, amended their licenses after that date by passing an insurance exam for an additional line of insurance, and those persons who were unlicensed for more than a year immediately prior to 4/5/83.
- Producers who have met continuing education requirements for PACE and CPD-L have automatically met the continuing education requirement.
- Individuals acting as instructors for continuing education course receive the same amount of CE credit as his or her students receive for taking the class. Can only receive credit for teaching once per triennium.
- Initial LTC Requirement: A non-resident producer must complete an eight (8) hour initial LTC training course that includes MA state MassHealth information OR complete an 8-hour NAIC Long-term care course from another state along with an additional 2-hour MA supplemental training.
- On-going LTC Requirement: A 4-hour follow-up LTC course is required every 24 months.
For a listing of the State Departments of Insurance websites provided by the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners), please go to: http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm