Insurance Continuing Education Provider Number: 31596

Success CE, Inc. provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to Iowa Insurance Continuing Education requirements. Our comprehensive guide provides essential insights for individuals fulfilling Iowa insurance CE obligations. To ensure compliance with potential regulatory changes, we recommend contacting your state’s insurance department. While we make diligent efforts to provide accurate and current information; Success CE, Inc. nor it’s employees warrant or represent that this information presented is accurate and current. All details are subject to change without notice. Stay informed and meet Iowa’s continuing education requirements by exploring the essentials of Insurance CE.

Iowa Department of Insurance Contact Information

Iowa Insurance Division
1963 Bell Avenue, Suite 100
Des Moines, IA 50315

Contact # (515) 654-6600
Producer Licensing # (515) 654-6565
Fax # (515) 654-6500

State Website:

License Status

IA Insurance Continuing Education Hours Required

  • Life/Health, Property/Casualty: 36 hours of CE, including 3 hours of ethics, are required every 3 years. (Triennially)
  • Effective June 9, 2021: All Iowa resident insurance producers will be able to meet their continuing education (CE) requirement through classroom, classroom equivalent, or self-study method courses. Producers must still complete 36 total credits including 3 of those credits on the topic of ethics. Source of Info

Iowa State-Specific Insurance CE Certifications

  • Annuity Regulation Best Interest Certification – Effective January 1st, 2021:
    • Licensees who have already completed a 4-hour annuity course prior to 1/01/2021 may complete a 1-hour annuity best interest course or complete the new 4-hour annuity best interest course.
    • Licensees who have not completed a 4-hour annuity course must take the annuity best interest course prior to selling annuities.
    • Licensees can take the one-hour course before the effective date of this regulation or up to 6 months after the effective date.
    • Producers do not need to submit information to the Department of Insurance, but should retain all course completion certificates so they can provide verification to their insurers.
  • Iowa Indexed Insurance Requirement: Effective January 1, 2008 Iowa Administrative Rule 191-15.80 requires all Insurance Producers selling or soliciting Indexed Products in the State of Iowa to obtain four (4) continuing education credits by an APPROVED vendor offering an Fixed Indexed Product Course. This is a one-time requirement and is not a condition of license renewal, unless selling Indexed Annuities.
    • Click HERE to order “Fixed Indexed Product Training
  • All Iowa licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
  • Effective 1/1/2009:  A one-time course training course of at least 4 CE credits in subjects related to long-term care insurance must completed prior to selling any long-term care insurance thereafter, for producers wishing to continue to sell long-term care insurance, ongoing training of 3 CE credits in subjects related to long-term care insurance must be completed for each CE term.
  • Initial 8-hour Long-Term Care Initial Certification: Before selling, soliciting or negotiating LTC insurance products in Iowa, a producer must be licensed with the ‘Accident and Health or Sickness’ line of authority; and have completed eight (8) hours of Iowa approved initial LTC training.
    • A 4-hour follow-up long term care training course must be completed during each two-year period following the two-year period in which the person completed the initial 8-hour long term care training requirement.
  • Click here to view your state Annuity CE requirement 

Final Exam Regulations

  • Independent self-study courses and Classroom study.
  • Self-study final exams required to be monitored by a licensed producer, education provider or disinterested 3rd party.
  • All self-study final exams are to be taken as a closed book exam.

Reporting to Your State/Regulatory Authority

  • $1.00 per credit hour is required to report to your state.
    • State Insurance completions are reported 2 times every business day.
  • If the course is completed and the affidavit is received and processed after 2 PM PST, it will be reported the following business day.
  • As an added service, we can Rapidly Report your completed courses the same business day for $25 per CE course.
  • CFP reports are sent on Friday at 2 PM PT to the CFP Board electronically.
    • You may also self-report your CFP completions to

Iowa Insurance CE Carry-Over Hours & CE Course Repetition

  • No excess CE credit hours may be carried over to the next renewal period.
  • Courses may not be taken for credit more than once each term.

Method to Certify Completion

  • The certificate of completion will be available to print or download online immediately after you have pass the final exam.
  • The DOI or regulatory authority can take up to 30 days to process your new completion results on their systems.

Iowa Non-Resident Producer Requirements

  • Initial LTC Requirement:  A non-resident producer must  complete eight (8) hours of Iowa approved NAIC Partnership OR complete an 8-hour NAIC LTC course from another state along that will fulfill Iowa requirements. 
  • On-going LTC Requirement: A 4-hour follow-up LTC course is required every 36 months by the end of each renewal period. 

Iowa Insurance Producer Exemptions

  • A producer who is an attorney licensed to sell insurance. The producer/attorney must file a report showing proof of compliance with the continuing legal education requirement for the attorney’s home state and pay the CE fee and the renewal fee. If the attorney does not have a CE requirement in their home state, they must comply with the Iowa insurance CE requirements.
  • A producer who is licensed for credit (18), crop (4), or surety (5). This producer need not report CE credits but must pay the appropriate fee to renew the license.
  • A nonresident producer who lives in a state where CE is required. These producers must file the renewal notice through the NIPR gateway.
  • A producer who successfully completes an examination for a line of authority which requires continuing education. This exemption is only for the CE term in which the examination was completed, prior to the first license renewal.

The Success Family of CE Companies provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to insurance continuing education requirements. Due to regulatory requirements we suggest that you contact your state department of insurance to insure that no regulatory changes have been enacted. Although ongoing efforts have been made to qualify that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither The Success Family of CE Companies nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice.

Insurance Continuing Education Requirements