Insurance Continuing Education Provider Number: 49837
Success CE, Inc. provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to Colorado Insurance Continuing Education requirements. Our comprehensive guide provides essential insights for individuals fulfilling Colorado insurance CE obligations. To ensure compliance with potential regulatory changes, we recommend contacting your state’s insurance department. While we make diligent efforts to provide accurate and current information; Success CE, Inc. nor it’s employees warrant or represent that this information presented is accurate and current. All details are subject to change without notice. Stay informed and meet Colorado’s continuing education requirements by exploring the essentials of Insurance CE.
Colorado Department of Insurance
Colorado Division of Insurance
For a listing of the State Departments of Insurance websites provided by the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners), please go to: http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm
CO Insurance Continuing Education Hours Required
- 24 CE hours (including 3 hours of ethics) is required every 2-year license renewal compliance period (Biannually).
- Credit hours must be earned and reported before your renewal/expiration date.
- At least 18 of the required 24 CE hours required must cover the lines of insurance for which the producer is licensed.
- The compliance date is the same as the license renewal date.
- The license renewal date is the last day of the birth month, biennially.
Colorado State-Specific Insurance CE Certifications
Annuity – Best Interest Interest Certification: Effective 11/1/2022, before selling, soliciting or negotiating Annuity policies in Colorado, must completed a one-time 4-hour annuity certification, the annuity best interest course, prior to selling annuities.
Colorado Long-Term Care CE requirements: 16-hours total, 8-hours of general LTC which may be completed in the classroom or self-study/online. The second 8-hours covers the Partnership and may only be completed in the classroom. For a non-resident producer to offer LTC products in Colorado the producer must meet requirements of their resident state regarding LTC and hold a Colorado non-resident license for Life or Accident & Health.
Flood NFIP Training: All Colorado resident insurance producers licensed in P&C or personal lines of authority that may sell flood insurance are required to complete a one-time course related to NFIP that will provide at least three (3) hours of continuing education
Final Exam Regulations
- Independent self-study courses and classroom study.
- All CO CE Final Exams are required to be taken with a closed book.
- Online & paper exams require a monitored final exam by a disinterested third party.
- A disinterested third party defined as: a minimum age of 18 years and any person except for family members or individuals who have a financial interest in the success of the student taking the examination. Co-workers can proctor but must not be above or below the student’s line of supervision.
- To pass the final exam, the score must be 70% or higher.
- Unlimited retakes can be utilized to reach the passing score.
Reporting to Your State/Regulatory Authority
- State Insurance completions are reported 2 times every business day. If course is completed after 2 PM PST, it will be reported the following business day.
- As an added service, we can Rapidly Report your completed courses the same business day for $25 per CE course.
- CFP reports are sent on Friday at 2 PM PT to the CFP Board electronically.
- You may also self-report your CFP completions to www.cfp.net
Colorado Insurance CE Carry-Over Hours & CE Course Repetition
- 12 CE credits earned during the 120 days prior to the compliance date may be carried over to the next renewal period.
- Credit will not be given for courses taken more than once in a two-year period, with the exception of statutory update courses.
Method to Certify Completion:
- The certificate of completion will be available to print or download online immediately after you have pass the final exam.
- The DOI or regulatory authority can take up to 30 days to process your new completion results on their systems.
Colorado Non-Resident Producer Requirements
- CE is not required for most non-resident CO insurance producers, however, some state specific requirements can be required.
- Initial LTC Requirement: A non-resident agents must check with their carrier to determine whether an 8-hour Partnership Course from another state will meet the requirements for Colorado. A single 8-hour course from a Partnership state will NOT suffice.
- On-going LTC Requirement: Non-resident producers must check with their carriers to confirm if they are required to complete Colorado’s 5-hour follow up LTC course or if a 4-hour LTC course from another state will suffice.
Colorado Insurance Producer Exemptions
- Newly licensed producers have until their second renewal cycle to comply.
- Producers licensed to write only one or more of the following are exempt:
- Travel ticket selling
- Professional Bail bonding
- Limited lines representative
- Crop hail
Success CE, Inc. provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to insurance continuing education requirements. Due to regulatory requirements we suggest that you contact your state department of insurance to insure that no regulatory changes have been enacted. Although ongoing efforts have been made to qualify that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither Success CE, Inc. nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice.